Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Realities of Freezer Cooking

I love the idea of freezer cooking.  For this reason, I have repeatedly tried freezer cooking.  I have done the marathon cooking sessions as well as swapped meals with a friend.  It is all great.  It truly does save time and money.  There are times when just whipping a meal out of the freezer at the last minute has been a great help to my family.  The problem for me is that I actually really enjoy cooking.  Coming home to make dinner after being gone all day usually isn't a problem because it gives me a chance to de-stress in the kitchen alone while my husband takes care of the kids for a few minutes.  So in reality, what happens at our house is, I put all these well-planned and carefully cooked meals into the freezer where they stay for months until I finally work them into our dinner plan because they need to be used up, and then we ended up eating a sub-par meal that has been in the freezer a bit too long no matter how well wrapped it was.  So my new take on freezer cooking is to stock our freezer with a few homemade convenience foods.  I have already been freezing batches of chopped onions and peppers, cooking large quantities of hamburger and freezing it in the portions needed to make some of our favorite meals like tacos or nachos, and pre-marinating meat for the grill prior to freezing.  After reading Money Saving Mom's 4 weeks to fill the freezer series, I'm also going to start making some lunch and breakfast type of convenience foods for my husband.  New recipes from her website (www.moneysavingmom.com) that I plan to try are pizza pockets, ham and cheese pockets, energy bites, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Now that I've told you how I feel about freezer cooking, why don't you tell me what you like or dislike about it and how you go about freezer cooking if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment